The overall objective of the project is to improve the local and regional capacity to apply the process of implementing waste management that support the implementation of the EU Waste Management Directive, helping countries in the Baltic Sea Region to address their problems with waste management and disposal. The subobjectives of the project are:
- To put into practice systematic approaches to waste management developed in the RB21T project (the network, Waste Management Planning System (WAMPS), guidelines and handbooks).
- To provide a platform across the Baltic Sea Region that enables cooperation in waste management through close collaboration of expert organisations, suppliers of waste technology and stakeholders.
- To elaborate a strategy (BSR level) and investment model that defi nes necessary actions ensuring organisational learning within and between authorities to continue to develop WM and lower the transaction costs.
- To jointly select and build pilot projects based on good practices.
- To develop at least two concrete investment projects per country, disseminate them at the Baltic Sea Region level and attract external funds for these pilots of €20 million.
- To give project partners opportunities to put into perspective their waste management needs, via the identification and exchange of good practice, to consider waste as an asset for innovations, business opportunities and employment.
- To improve the capacity to overcome difficulties faced when selecting suitable waste management methods and techniques